What rental insurance can do for you
As much as we’d like to think we’re safe and bad things could not happen to us, the truth is misfortunes tend to come about unannounced; they are part of life and, while sometimes there’s no way we can stop them from happening, we can do our best to try to minimize their impact.
Take fires for example; you’d be tempted to think that your apartment is safe, that you’ve taken all the precautionary measures, fire inspections are up-to-date and you’re careful enough not to cause any accidents yourself. Yet, you can never assume the same thing about your neighbors. A single cigarette butt left in the astray unattended can result in fire wreaking havoc upon the entire apartment. Moreover, once the fire breaks loose, it can easily spread from one unit to another, causing thousands of dollars’ worth of property damage, or worse. Did you know almost 1,000 smokers and non-smokers are killed in home fires caused by cigarettes and other smoking materials every year? Additionally, studies show that twenty-five percent of those suffering from smoking home fires are neighbors or friends of the smokers.
One way to minimize damage in the event of such mishaps coming your way is by acquiring renters insurance. It shouldn’t cost much more than a few hundred dollars a year, unless you possess a lot of expensive things like fine art, a designer wardrobe, or costly jewelry. And even then, it’s still a sensible expense to add to your monthly budget, maybe even more so since you’ve got much more to lose if something bad happens. You just need to inform your agent and ask for a quotation based on the actual value of the items you possess.
What can rental insurance do for you? The ResidentShield renter’s insurance plan can help:
- protect you against the financial risk associated with property loss in the event of a covered peril including fire, windstorm, lightning, hail, theft, and vandalism;
- insure full replacement value for your personal property and that of your neighbors, including furniture, clothing, electronic equipment, jewelry, etc.;
- protect you against liability claims (including liability provision for dog bites);
- cover accidental injuries of house guests while on your apartment grounds;
- provide you with temporary living expenses over and above your normal living expenses if your abode is covered in the loss.
Just think, why take a chance when the solution is that easy? Stay savvy!